The Dollar Defender will find the following for you:

Corporate Office
55 Leek Crescent
Beaver Creek Business Park
Richmond Hill, Ontario
L4B 3Y2

Dear Bulk Barn,

On a recent visit to your store at 3240 Fairview Street in Burlington (Store ID # 484), I encountered a negative experience which has led me to believe that Bulk Barn Foods Limited uses inaccurate scales in order to steal money from their customers.  Please allow me to express my concern.

I went to your store to purchase the following three items:  blanched Virginia peanuts, broken O’Henry bars and some coarse black pepper.  When I got to the cashier, she put my broken O’Henry bars onto the scale and had mistaken them for caramel nut clusters.  I informed her of her mistake and she then voided the caramel nut clusters and entered the correct product code for broken O’Henry bars.  However, as you can see on the enclosed receipt, the weight of the product had suddenly changed from 0.135 kg to 0.180 kg (a 33.3 % increase in weight).  I’m having a hard time understanding how this is possible, since the product being weighed was unaltered between the two times it was weighed.

Bulk Barn receipt with same product weighed in at different weights

It appears to me that your scales are inaccurate and you are falsifying the weights of products so that those which are cheaper per kg weigh more.  Could you please let me know if this is true?  If not, how can you explain my experience at your store?  I am very reluctant to ever purchase anything from Bulk Barn again until this issue is resolved.

The Dollar Defender

8 Responses to “Bulk Barn Inaccurately Weighs Products to Steal From Customers – Letter to Bulk Barn”

1. Erica Mae says:

I work at a bulk barn and the scale is nothing specific to bulk barn and the scale would have not way to differentiate between different products by anything but their weight. While you are purchasing items, and the cashier places the item on the scale, the reader is always set at zero before the items, and always faces the customer. There is no scam, if it reads zero while there is nothing on it, it can’t magically add weight on its own.

2. sean says:

What a ridiculous article…a company that’s been around for over 30 years has been scamming each customer? Do you actually think they would get away with this? You must find better things to inform readers about, or stop smoking whatever it is you’re on.

3. RedDog says:

Ok so you make no counter claims to the points addressed. Another point that can be added. One possible reason the weights could have been off is that when it was rung through the first time, the product was not completely on the scale (i can image this happens all the time) and in fact gives customers an unwarranted discount on the product. Or perhaps, the customer put their purse or bag down when talking to the cashier and part of it landed on the scale. It is the responsibility of both the cashier and the customer to ensure that this does not happen. Do you honestly think that a company as large as Bulk Barn is would be able to contiously add artificially weight to bags? Also, if you go to any company that uses a scale to to determine the price, the scale has an external monitor that shows the current weight on the scale, this number will then also appear on the cashier’s monitor. This two numbers have to match. The computer system would not be able to artificially add weight to the bag and these two numbers be the same because the external scale monitor is a separate unit from the computer.

4. RedDog says:

This is not true at all. Mike’s response states that the scales are too old. Retailers who use scales to measure product weight must use government certified scale. On a regular basis, these scales are checked for accuracy by a government official. BulkBarn is not adding weight to the order. If this was true, they would long have been shut down becuase on a regular basis, government officials (such as food safety, health and safety, etc) test out the stores systems by posing as a customer and going through the point of sale terminal. This is a ridiculous attempt to thwart the success of BulkBarn. I would not be surprised if the author of this letter does not owe a store in competition in bulkbarn and is trying to drive customers away.

• Hi RedDog,

If you had read more than one of my posts, you would notice that I call out all companies I interact with that I feel are taking advantage of me. For you to think that I wrote this post because I own a store in competition with Bulk Barn is pretty funny. That would mean I must also own a company in competition with all of the other ones listed on my site. That would make me one of the richest people in Canada.

5. mc says:

I work at a bulk barn in toronto. And sometimes when we are putting items on the scale, if we put them on and type in the code and remove the product, the weight can be slightly under. Items have to remain on the scale for more than a second before getting the right weight. Its not the scales we use. For example when you weigh yourself, the scale will fluctuate until it finds the actual weight when everything is still.

6. Scott says:

I always thought there was something fisy about Bulk Barn, thanks for exposing them

7. mike says:

The scales they have are way too old……….they should honestly change back to more primitive-more accurate scales. Digital scales have too much of a likelihood to go wonky